“You got the right state of mind” – Holy Ghost Tent Revival
“The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure, when I should have gone all the way. I’ll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter.” – Mike Ehrmantraut, Breaking Bad.
No half measures. Thats what we learned from Breaking Bad and from experience. Sure you just want to jump right in and paint. Hell yeah lets get some color on these walls! Paint without prepping the walls, trim and ceiling first is well, a half ass job. Here’s the steps we took before we ever put paint on the walls. Let me tell you, there’s even steps within the steps!
- Remove all the nails, screws, brackets, hangers and such from the walls.
- Fill in all those holes from the nails, screws, brackets, hangers and such with spackle compound.
- Sand the walls, trim and ceilings.
- Wipe down the walls and ceiling.
- Use shellac primer on all the wood trim. Use a respirator and ventilate the room. (See John)
- Caulk all around the trim.
- Prime the walls and ceiling.
- Tape windows.
- Now paint!
We are on day number 5 and we have not put a touch of paint on the walls except for the sample paint. Its all worth it though, the interior is gonna look great!
Quote is from “Right State Of Mind” by Holy Ghost Tent Revival. You can find the guys here.